11 September 2010

Unexpected, Part 2

So here I am. I've been in the stroke unit since Monday, and had tons of blood tests, eye tests, CT scans, ultrasounds, MRI scans and a lumbar puncture. I've definitely lost 25% of my visual field in both eyes (which is very unusual). Reading is hard. I gather it's probably optic neuritis.

I *haven't* had a stroke. But the MRI did show lesions in my brain, both in an area affecting vision, and in the middle of my brain. My neurologist thinks it could be multiple sclerosis or sarcoidosis. So here I stay until a diagnosis is confirmed and they can start me on some treatment. It's all pretty fucky.

Later on : Hubby has brought in my computer and an internet dongle thingy, so I'm ONLINE in hospital!

This image shows you what reading is like for me at the moment ... I really hope this repairs if it's caused by MS, it could repair in 4-12 weeks. I'm not allowed to drive until my field of vision is better, too.



The blank areas shift and change when I move my head and eyes, so it makes seeing fine detail (like letters) rather challenging.

11 comments:

  1. This is horrible - I hope you get some good news soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fuckity fuck. I don't know what else to say. If you need anything...
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I hope there is some good news and some excellent treatment quick smart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yuck - I hope that the treatment is effective whatever the diagnosis is and I hope you find out soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just terrible stuff Denise - I hope your eyesight repairs soon and that you get a definite diagnosis (hopefully a good one, although I'm very glad you haven't had a stroke). Glad you are at least online now, that will help pass the time until you can go home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I do hope it repairs!

    (I often get a shifting blind spot turning to sparkles before migraines, so I sympathize with how hard it makes reading.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teresa in Virginia4:30 am, September 12, 2010

    Oh wow Jejune. Sorry to hear about your health troubles. Sending good wishes/vibes/prayers your way from the United States. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. More love and every kind of wish are pouring in to you from all of us in the U.S. (Maia's here with me right now). Sarcoidosis--Tom has/had that, not that that helps me much to understand what you're dealing with. I'm thankful for your computer access (at least!); hopeful, sending lots and lots of love from Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Denise
    That is terrible terrible and frightening for you. It doesn't seem fair. Not fair at all. Don't you already have enough to take care of - for yourself and everyone around you.

    Thinking of you and wishing you the very best.

    Fuckity FUCK is exactly right.
    Loani

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending positive healing thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. good lord denise. i have just caught on up blogs and am so sorry to read this, what a time you are having. thinking of you, hope to hear some good news soon xx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Printfriendly