27 December 2008

Twenty years

Twenty years ago today I was in labor ... it went on for quite some time (32 hours); our planned home birth ended with an unplanned emergency Caesarian (because of my deformed hips and pelvis). But our gorgeous first child Rodger was finally born, and we were both fine, despite the bruise on his forehead from being stuck, and my row of stitches (metal clamps actually, yuck).

Wasn't he a sweetie at 2? Blonde with brown eyes ... he even won a Beautiful Baby competition!

Over the years we've got to know each other quite well. I home schooled him until the end of Year 10. We've gone through the Lego phase, the dinosaur phase, the catalog-itis phases, the lizards phase, the archery phase (he can still shoot an incredible score without having practiced at all, little toad!) ...

He's a lot bigger and hairier now, but he's still a sweet, smart, and funny guy. He's into indy / prog rock music, plays guitar, bass and drums (!!) - all self-taught - and loves huge mugs of milky tea, puppies, Red Eye, Kingsley's Chicken, pizza, anime, rock concerts in Sydney, Mac computers, and playing EVE Online with his dad. He's a good cook, especially when it comes to cakes! I'll always be thankful that he introduced me to Nine Inch Nails, Muse, Queens of the Stone Age, and Ratatat!

Tomorrow he turns 20 (now I really feel old!). He's not much one for big parties, so we're having a nice family meal, Mexican 'cos that's his favourite, with Summer Pudding for dessert (a treat I've never made before!).

And the best present of all - a few days ago Rodg was offered a place (in the first round of offers, too!) in the Advanced Diploma in Graphic Design at the Canberra Institute of Technology! Yay!!

This is the same degree that I did, 22 years ago, at the same campus! I was in the first intake of students who ever did the course, and they didn't really know what they were doing. It's a vastly better course now. I'm really tickled pink that he's following in my footsteps - he has natural ability, and I'm sure he'll do fantastically well. He starts in early Feb 09!

Happy Birthday my boy. I'm so proud of you, and love you to bits.

13 comments:

  1. Fantastic,I can only hope at least one(maybe 2) of mine gets to Uni,his teachers have great confidence,doesnt it make your heart burst,well you re already there,LOL,a couple of years for me!!
    PS love those visitor stickers in last post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Rodg! You may not be a cute little blonde boy anymore, but you're still quite the looker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday. Just think - in 20 year's time YOU may be creating beautiful cards and knitting! Good luck with the course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful tribute to your son. I also applaud you for doing such a great job in teaching him and for the genes he has inherited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how fast they grow. I said to my husband, "Do you realize in only four years we'll have a teenager?" and I think I stunned him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well done Rodg - and he hasn't changed much, has he ? - except for the hair colour. You can still tell it's the same fella !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute :)
    Mum said she loves your Avator - very gothic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jejune, you make very nice babies! Could you get Rodger and Lulu to pose with Dotter for a few family portraits for the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW - what a great tribute to your fine young man, Rodger! He really is a beautiful child. And you have every right to be the proud mama you are. He's done good! Best wishes to your son for his birthday and the upcoming year. Congratulations on his achievements and many more to come!

    Love, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Rodger! And congratulations on getting into the course - I'm amazed it's the same course/same campus as you Jejune - funny how the stars align sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh happy birthday - and congrats to you for raising such a great young man!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wehn they told me all those years ago about how fast they grow up, I didn't believe them. Sigh with a 15 year old, I now know how true that is.

    Big Birthday hugs for across the ocean Rodg.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, that's so sweet. :) Happy Birthday to your little 'big' boy. :) Have a great New Year ahead.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Printfriendly