07 March 2007

Cottoning on, and on, and on, and...

This photo is as risqué as I'll ever get (here, anyway!). I put the cotton top stitches onto waste yarn, and tried it on tonight. The bugger - as I was suspecting - is TOO FUCKING BIG. There was only one thing to do, and I let Lulu help.


I've cast on again, again (is this #5? I've lost count...). 144 stitches this time (instead of 160). I'm doing a few rows of garter stitch this time first, and then starting the lace, which might stop the edge curling up? I'm also going to 1) do my side decreases in a more aligned way and 2) try the thing on more often!

I'm actually not too upset by it, to be honest. I am designing this from scratch, and so I don't feel any frustration of a (printed) pattern (by someone else) going wrong, it's more I'm still trying things out, and seeing what works. Each time I do it again I get (hopefully) better at it - I just hope the cotton can take being re-knit so much!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my dear, what a shock to they system! Um, at least running out of yarn is less likely now? Small consolation but that yarn is SOOOO damn gorgeous and the pattern your developing perfect for it. It will be worth it in the end, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. see, Lulu can be helpful when she wants to be!!

    I agree with Taph - it will be worth it in the end! I love the bottom of it!

    As someone who frogged her steeked jacket several times before getting on the straight and narrow, I sympathise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh, I can't remember the no of times I've got to rip with cotton yarns because it expanded too much. I can feel your pain. The pattern looks good though. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Printfriendly