16 March 2007

The joys of renting

I know it's allowed, but I'm still somewhat miffed that the owner of our house - who is visiting Canberra this weekend from northern NSW - has asked to come and 'look over the place'. It's the first time she'll have seen it since she moved out over 3 years ago, and she's paid for a lot to be done since then - a tree removed, new oven, new water heater, painting etc - so I suppose it's fair enough. We had 5 days' notice.

It's not an official inspection, and the real estate agent asked nicely, so I didn't feel we would really say no. And yeah - although the owner (who is a nice woman, really) has said that she doesn't mind if it's not tidy - hmmm, I don't think so! The yard really needs sweeping, and an emu parade, and I've already carted a pile of boxes to the recycling centre, and done some weeding. Still more to do.

Well, it'll be over by tomorrow afternoon, and I'm sure it'll be fine, and all that, and the house and yard will be nice and tidy - but I really don't feel like dealing with this right now! I'm also a little bit worried that she's looking at it with a view to selling... given the horrendous state of the rental market here, I doubt we could find a place any time soon. We'll cross that bridge if it turns up... I'm not obsessing about it, just a bit anxious :/

1 comment:

  1. We've lived in our place for seven and a half years, had never laid eyes on the owner until 6 months ago. He's been here 4 times in the last 6 months. Now he's decided to spruce the place up with some landscaping and stuff. I'm not sure whether he's selling or putting the rent wa-a-ay up.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Printfriendly